Thursday, October 21, 2010

An adventure... sort of


So today because it was warmer outside than in, I decided I'd move my "office" from the dining table/coffee table inside to the picnic table outside. I loaded up my laptop, french press, coffee mug, warm milk, and papers of notes and out I went. It was lovely... this was my view...
The wind was a little contrary and tried to blow my papers all over, but I solved the problem w/ my coffee mug & cell phone.

But that wasn't my adventure. No that happened this evening in the parking lot of the Karen Crossroads Nakumatt (there's several throughout the city). Diane & Debbi had arrived to fetch me, but Debbi needed something so whilst (can you tell the Brit English is rubbing off) they ran in, I took the keys so I could put my stuff in the Land Rover.

As I was about to take a pic of the lovely full moon and clouds, a security guard came over and this was our conversation:

"Do you belong to this car?"
I answered in the affirmative, and opened the car w/ the keys to prove it.
"Doesn't this car belong to Mrs. Pastor?"
"Yes, I work for Mrs. Pastor" as I put the bags in the car hoping he would take the hint and go away.
"I know Mrs. Pastor. I used to go to Dove church, but now there is the new church in the tents. Do you know it? It is closer, so I go there now."
I nod & keep putting bags in the car, mentally cringing & hoping he'll just go away if I don't continue the conversation.
"Is Pastor Omondi around? I know he travels."
"Yes he is."
"I saw Mrs. Pastor drop you off & leave. Is she here now?"
"Yes" (if you saw me why are you questioning me??? I think)
"How long you been with them? Do you fellowship at Dove church?"
"I've been here two weeks, yes I attend Dove."
"Good, its a good church. I don't think they remember me, was a long time ago. You understand Swahili, you speak it? You in Kenya now, you need have Mrs. Pastor teach you Kiswahili."
"I'll be taking lessons. Thank you, Asante." I say as I take the cart and start to head back to the store & the rescuing presence of other people & light...
"Oh, you go back now?"
"Yes, thank you. Goodbye..."

So that was my adventure in the dark parking lot with a security guard that used to attend Dove. And it reminded me that I'm CONSTANTLY being watched. Good thing to remember as we're all "living epistles" of the Word.

No comments: