Wednesday, October 13, 2010

airing some dirty laundry...

Real quick before I start this post... I'm endeavoring to post 5 times a week, well at least here at the beginning of this adventure so I can introduce you to my crazy new life & the people that help me survive it...


One of the things that I have to learn to live in Kenya is how to properly do laundry - by hand. In the past the closest I've come is washing out someunmentionables (but did I just mention them?) in the sink while I was traveling. Here, there is NO washing machine, except for the two that God gave me on the end of my arms.So today Irene, Ruth, & Mercy offered to teach me. As I said, I've never really done anything like this before so I decided to start small with only a few things & nothing big. Suffice it to say there was much laughter at my expense. Though they promised that I would be an expert by the time I leave.
And, I even took a few pictures & I'm willing to share them with you. Why? Because I dare any of you machine owners to get outside & do this... Perhaps I've reached a new level of domestic diva-ness. Just wait 'til its time to do sheets & towels...

This is the laundry area... those are my clothes in the smaller blue tub
Here I am filling the laundry tub w/ water...
Now I move the tub over to the concrete so I can wash & not make a larger mess by making mud...
Finally, its all done & hung on the line... should be dry in just a few hours thanks to the abundant sunshine here...

1 comment:

Beth said...

That's awesome!

What sort of soap do you use? Regular laundry soap or something else? Do you have a washboard?